Friday, January 29, 2016

Nomura Sushi Date Night Amazingness

Kitsune booked a reservation to sit at the sushi bar at Nomura Sushi on the recommendation of our friends Dio and Leanne. We ordered their highest option and let me tell you...

It was soooooo worth it.

We really enjoyed dinner, and speaking with the sushi chef in training and Nomura himself. I, of course, took pictures of everything for posterity. :D

Mushroom with caviar and greens, tamago (egg) w/Ikura (salmon eggs), Shrimp w/ something that had cream cheese >.<, and a sweet thing but not sure what it was. 
Tai (snapper) sashimi

Ika (squid) 

Tai w/ scallion wrapped in Konbu  
Bonito (skipjack) OMG this was so so good. it almost bested Hamachi (yellow tail)!!

Crab with egg hollandaise sauce (super sweet and I quite liked it which surprised me as I don't like crab)

Cucumber and seaweed under the crab. The knife work is awesome

Nomura-san at his sushi block working away

Raw Oyster from Mie (I did eat it. I still don't like it. Ugh.)

Japanese green tea (from powder)

Current set-up  
Shirako (fish sperm) w/ peanuts, scallions, and saffron; cooked Toro (fatty tuna) w/miso, lotus root, and sardine cracker.
 We were open to eat whatever they offered, so I had my first experience with fish sperm. It's not quite what I expected, and I didn't hate it. However, I don't think I would ever seek it out. The texture is a bit off putting, and of course, just the fact of what it is fights with you.

New set up at the start of the Nigiri part.

Kimmedai (splendid alfonsino) This is an amazing fish. First time having it, and it is super flavorful 

Saiyuri (needle fish)

Kawahagi w/liver ( file fish) I really liked this one
Chopstick rest

Toro (fatty tuna) Omg this was melt in the mouth good. 

Kohada (japanese gizzard shad) We thought it was Saba (mackerel) from the skin. This was a first as well. Tasty fish

Mirugai (Giant clam/geoduck) When Nomura placed the nigiri on the plate, he slaps his finger against the clam. Because it is so fresh it still has nerve impulses so it starts to curl as he places it. So cool. Still not one I really enjoy however.

Amaebi (sweet shrimp) much better than any I have had in the states, but still not one I actively seek out.

Saba (mackerel) Here was the mackerel. Super flavorful, and just fabulous. Best saba I have had actually.

Murasaki (sea urchin) I didn't eat it. I don't enjoy sea urchin usually, but it's Kitsune's favorite. I let him have mine.

Ebi no Atama (shrimp head soup) Tasty broth, way too many onions. I didn't suck the brains of my shrimp either. I know, sacrilege. But ew.

Anago (sea eel) their specialty. Best anago I have ever had

Dessert set up, with tea

Sweet tofu with fruit, and dongo in sauce
Lovely evening, well worth it for the experience. If you are ever in Taipei, get a seat at the sushi bar at Nomura's! You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment