Monday, January 4, 2016

Biscuit Fail...sort of

I tried to make Biscuits and Gravy yesterday for all the siblings. For the most part it was a success, as in everything was edible and even tasted -mostly- okay.

I've never made proper flaky biscuits before. I kneaded, and rolled, and folded as told, but they simply didn't rise. They tasted like biscuits, but more dense than flaky. The gravy was my fault as I did not buy the sausage meat (I forgot entirely) so I made a bacon gravy since that was the only meat I had on hand. The onion was rough chopped instead of fine, and I added way to much. Needless to say the gravy was more an onion gravy with a side of bacon. Taste testing results were very bland so I gradually added salt, but ended up with it being to salty as well. Sigh.

Nevertheless, the family seemed to enjoy it and ended up devouring the whole thing.

I definitely need to try again, this time with sausage meat for sure, and hopefully I can figure out how to make my biscuits rise. I'll chop the onions fine as is called for, using only a small amount, and be very cautious with the salt when seasoning. If I can get the gravy perfect, perhaps that will make up for flat biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment