Friday, January 8, 2016

Crafting adventures, Kitty Hat


Cute kitty eared loom knit hat :3 I do like how it turned out
I've been playing around with Loom Knitting, and really enjoying it. I am a crocheter at heart, but jacked up my finger that holds the tension on my yarn. I'm taking a break from crochet because of this, and focusing on learning knitting since I don't really ever use that particular finger.

I'm decent with needles, less than decent but not terrible with double pointed needles, and pretty ok with basic loom knitting. My problems are in my tension. I'm pretty sure I knit too tight. I have the same issue in crochet, having to use larger needles to make gauge. In crochet, it seems much easier to adjust your pattern to match your gauge. If I'm crocheting to small/tight, I just make the rounds larger as I go, or add more rows. I've yet to figure out how to get gauge with knitting.

I've tried larger needles, I've tried smaller needles, and the results are the same. I can crank out a marvelous scarf, or blanket. Make a good hat however...not so much. It's rather frustrating, but I keep on trying and learning, and I know one day it will click.



So I swapped to loom knitting for hats, because it seemed much simpler. You had the amount of pegs to fit a certain size head, and there you go! For the most part, that works. With bulky yarns I am able to make hats that fit for the most part, and I love them. However, when I try to use a #4 yarn, even doubled up, the hat is super wonky, and just looks yuck. When I use my KB loom, with all the extra pegs for an average adult head, the silly thing is super small! There was a learning curve with tension on the KB loom; I was knitting way too tight. Once I eased up and figured out how to keep it loose enough to not threaten breaking the pegs, but tight enough to keep a steady knit look, I was really happy. Then I tied it off, and realized just how small the silly thing was. I can fit it on my head, but it is a bit snug. Sigh.

It's definitely a learning curve from crochet, I just have to remember how much redoing and unraveling I did when teaching myself to crochet. In retrospect, I am having an easier time with knitting :P

No comments:

Post a Comment