Friday, January 15, 2016

Gearing up

Finally went to Fleet Feet store to get special insoles for my military boots and sneakers. I've been having trouble with my heel for over a year now, and it was crippling to walk without constantly rolling out my tendon in my arch and heel, up around my calf, and behind my knee. And let me tell you...it hurts! I use a lacrosse ball, and the pain never actually fades like a good massage. Plus, it leaves me feeling bruised on top of the regular pain. It does release some of the tension so I am able to walk easier, so it is necessary.

Fleet Feet Website

Before I started to continually roll out my heel, I literally would have to hobble when standing up until the tendon stretched enough to allow me to walk normally, albeit with pain. Once I started to roll, I was able to walk the pups with Kitsune. I would hobble a bit during the first quarter, wince during another quarter, then finally getting used to it and able to walk while ignoring the pain.



I got fed up with that and got some Dr. Scholls heel inserts for Plantar Fasciitis, They helped some, and made walking easier so I was relived, but longer walks or standing for periods of time still hurt quite a bit. My parents told me about Super Feet insoles, and how much they helped my father and eventually my mother. So knowing our trip is quickly approaching, and we tend to walk upwards of 6 miles a day while there, I knew I needed to do something about my shoes.

It was pricey, but worth it I hope. The lady who helped us at Fleet Feet was wonderful and efficient. They had the insoles readily available, and she cut them to fit perfectly in my boots. I told her about my sneakers and how the insoles would need to be ripped out, but I was concerned with how thoroughly they seemed to be glued. She found some Super Feet insoles that were actually meant for dress shoes, but were basically heel inserts like the ones I had, but firmer and with more support. I was thrilled to be able to use my sneakers as well as the boots.

Hopefully I will be able to enjoy my trip and hike and walk with ease. I'm definitely bring the lacrosse ball just to make sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment