Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Chris Hadfield

Chris Hadfield cover of Space Oddity

Since David Bowie's recent passing, Chris Hadfield's cover has come back into mainstream circulation. I have always really enjoyed his cover, much more than Bowie's original. I like that he changes the words so Major Tom doesn't die in the end as well.

Not only did he make this neat cover, but Hadfield has some really great lecture videos. I love watching his videos while he was in space as well. He answers questions, and is just a really fun guy to watch.

Chris Hadfield: What I learned from going blind in space

The above lecture has a great subject. He speaks mainly about overcoming fears. He uses imagery of spiders which I loathe, but his words ring very true. He explains the difference between 'fear' and 'danger' very clearly with the examples of spiders. His solution is horrify to me in his example, but it is very true. Kitsune spent more than a month over in Peru, a lot of that time spent deep in the Amazon. He hates spiders, but after being inundated by them everyday all the time, it became a non-entity. One of those brush it off and move on. Hadfield continues on to talk about how astronauts are taught to have that same non reaction to situations in space. I enjoy listening to his stories.

It is something to really think about, the fear vs danger. However, I'm pretty sure I am not going to take him up on his remedy to cure my fear of spiders. *shudder*

No comments:

Post a Comment