Friday, February 5, 2016

Jiufen Rainy Day - Spirited Away town!!!

Jiufen

Let me just start off and say that this place is amazing.

Like...REALLY amazing.

Like...totally awesome and the feels it gives you...it is so hard to describe and the pictures just can't capture.

But I'll try.


This little town's Old Market Street is supposedly what Spirited Away is based around. When you enter the small cobbled stone walk, you can immediately see why. There is something bittersweet about it, yet hopeful. Rain fell the entire time we were here, which was annoying because even with umbrellas you just got wet (it was inevitable), but it just added to the atmosphere. I'm actually glad that I was able to first experience this little town in the rain. The overhanging cover that didn't keep the wet out, and the drips and rain that continued to fall...it was just...I can't describe the feeling.


Even with the rain, the place was crowded but didn't really feel cramped. The shops and food stalls were all open, and upbeat. Old Street is like a night market and shopping mall all in one. There were craftsmen selling their handmade goods, some sitting focused on their creations as you walked along and watched. There were the regular night market mish-mash of items, and the food stalls. Hotels and Hostels dotted along between the shops. Cars and scooters even made their way through the streets honking at people to get out of the way.


We wondered down the main street, steadily going down the mountain side. As we went there were a lots of little places to stop and take pictures and see the town that meandered down the mountainside.


I took so many shots that night, in the wet and rain. Some are actually pretty good I think, but this one I think captures the town best. We left the Old Market Street, and continued down into the residential, very quiet, area. The place was just peaceful. Even though the wind blew rain on us, and threatened to rip away our umbrellas, I was relaxed, and happy. There is just such an energy there.


Outside the market area, down on the street toward the residential side, with the rain and the empty road...it felt very Totoro-esk to me. I loved it. So so much. I want to experience the place in the sunlight and twilight without rain...but I am so glad that the first time was with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment