Thursday, April 28, 2016

Homemade pizza? Why yes...I can do that!

I promised Kitsune that the first thing I would use our new oven for would be homemade pizza. So planning to use our Baking Steel, I made a 72 Hour Pizza Dough and got a peel from Pete and we were ready to go.




We decided to try for 4 min Pizza. Floured up our peel, stretched out the dough ball and topped it up. I messed up and got chunky style crushed tomatoes, so the pizza's were a bit too wet. Picked up hand packed mozzarella from Whole Foods and grated some Fontina cheese, and used a few pepperonis. The first pizza ended up WAY too wet. It was soggy city. I should have listened to the "less is more" that everyone says *sigh* It just looked so sad without all the tasty things on it!

The saddest soggy pizza...
Needless to say, the second pizza was much better, if still somewhat wet because of the tomato chunks I think. Maybe I could pull back on the cheese even more.

Turned out wonderfully yeasty and had a great chew. Didn't get the charring either time that we were hoping for on the bottom, so we may need to preheat the steel even longer because of our oven. I have 2 more dough balls to try again tomorrow and see how changing some things works out.

Definitely worth it in my opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment